What is old, is new again! Tech facts from the past and current
By: Dr. Sharon Torrence Jones, Founder, Dottie Rose Foundation
Technology brings new simplicity to what used to be more mundane tasks but did you know that many of the concepts that we use today were actually already in the making, when “we didn’t have so much tech”… well we actually did!
I found this great article that showcases 20 Fun Facts About Technology from Global Lead Technology. We all are more technological than we think and actually can equate many of our best innovations to computational thinking.
20 Fun Facts About Technology
- PCs went by the name “Electronic Brains” in the 1950s.
- Email has been around longer than the World Wide Web.
- HP, Google, Microsoft and Apple have just one thing in common, other than the fact that they are IT companies. They were all started in garages.
- Bill Gates’ house was designed used a Mac computer.
- There are approximately 6000 new viruses released every month.
- Computer programming is currently one of the fastest growing occupations related to technology.
- 28% of IT professionals hide their career from friends and family to get out of giving free tech support.
- The 30th of November is known as “Computer Security Day”.
- Technophobia is the fear of technology, Nomophobia is the fear of being without a mobile phone, Cyberphobia is the fear of computers.
- The original name of Windows was Interface Manager.
- The internet is 10,000+ days old. For the exact amount of days, you can visit here.
- The QWERTY keyboard was designed to slow you down. If you want to type faster, try the Dvorak Keyboard.
- Currently, the world’s largest hard drive is a 60TB SSD.
- The Apple II had a hard drive of only 5 megabytes when it was released.
- 51% of internet traffic is “non-human”. 31% is made up from hacking programs, spammers and malicious phishing.
- The first computer was almost 2.5 meters high and weighed nearly 30,000kg.
- The name Google was created accidentally. A spelling error was made by the original founders who were under the impression they were going for Googol.
- The average computer user blinks 7 times a minute, less than half the normal rate of 20.
- The first computer mouse was invented by Doug Engelbart and it was carved from wood.
- TIME Magazine named the computer the “Man of the Year” in 1982.
What are your thoughts? How many of these made you go hummm? Or Oh yeah!
I would love to hear your thoughts! Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
To Learn More about us go to dottierosefoundation.org